I would like to say thank you to everybody who attended the Microsoft Tech Summit 2018, Stockholm. It was an awesome setup and a great event with lots of great sessions.
It is always a pleasure and an honor to get the opportunity to speak at a Microsoft event. So, thank you for attending and for making speaking at the event a great experience!
The session and slide deck were originally presented at Microsoft Ignite 2017 [Link).
Throughout the presentation updated information and links was used. Unfortunately, I am not allowed to share the slide deck, however as promised during the session, please find notes and links below.
Microsoft Tech Summit 2018, Stockholm, April 17 – April 18, 2018
Session name: What’s new in Windows 10 security? Raising the bar of security once again with the Fall Creators Update!
Session Code: BRK2037
Session room: C2
Session link: What-s-new-inWindows-10-security-Raising-the-bar-of-security
Notes from the field
- Get you Proof of Concept (PoC) started, enable Audit Mode for all solutions to start collecting insights
- Utilize a suitable solution for collecting Audit events from local event-logs e.g. using Windows Event Forwarding (WEF): https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/jepayne/2015/11/23/monitoring-whatmatters-windows-event-forwarding-for-everyone-even-if-you-already-have-a-siem/
- STOP using Domain Admins accounts!
- Ensure to have local accounts protected, e.g. Administrator account by enabling random password solution, e.g. using Microsoft Local Administrator Solution (LAPS)
- Be prepared to respond to business complaints and be ready to remediate issues (have a “backup” plan)
- Start logging activity from your devices, see Security baseline for Windows 10 v1803 “Redstone 4” – DRAFT: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/secguide/2018/03/27/security-baseline-for-windows10-v1803-redstone-4-draft/
- Implement Security baseline for Office 2016 and Office 365 ProPlus apps – FINAL: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/secguide/2018/02/13/security-baseline-for-office-2016-andoffice-365-proplus-apps-final/
- Visit Windows Active Defense web site to start your test: https://demo.wd.microsoft.com/
Hardening the system and maintaining integrity with Windows Defender System Guard
Windows Defender Application Guard overview
Testing scenarios using Windows Defender Application Guard in your business or organization
Windows Defender Application Control
Windows Defender Exploit Guard
Reduce attack surfaces with Windows Defender Exploit Guard
Troubleshoot Attack surface reduction rules
Windows Defender Exploit Guard requirements
Each of the features in Windows Defender Exploit Guard have slightly different requirements:
|Windows Defender Antivirus|
|Attack surface reduction||•|
|Controlled folder access||•|
What is new in Microsoft Intune Week of March 12, 2018 – New Windows Defender Exploit Guard settings
Protect important folders with Controlled folder access
Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection – Intelligence-driven protection, detection, and response
Big news in our drive to eliminate passwords: FIDO2 / WebAuthn Reaches Candidate Recommendation status!
Enable Microsoft Windows Hello for Business in your organization
Enable Windows 10 Multifactor Authentication with Windows Hello Multifactor Device Unlock & Microsoft Intune